In 1932 in the interest of international goodwill the International Scout committee, with the cooperation of the representatives of the Boy Scouts of America, developed an international policy with regard to Scouts who have earned the interpreter’s merit badge. At the request of the International Committee the Boy Scouts of America provided for the wearing by Scouts a strip on the right-pocket flap of the Scout shirt bearing the name of the foreign language which the Scout can interpret.
The first description of the Interpreter strips was printed in the October 1932 Equipment Number of The Scout Executive, page 15.
Embroidered felt strip showing foreign language spoken.
White on khaki or blue. No. 364.
French … 5¢ No. 365. German … 5¢
No. 366. Italian … 5¢
No. 367. Spanish … 5¢”
In 1956 the National Executive Board approved changing the Interpreter strip to white embroidery on red twill and the moved the location on the uniform to above the B.S.A. program strip.